Happy New Year from Joel
Tomorrow I’ll be booking tickets to go to Kitacon. In the mean time, there is a great deal to be done.
There’s a lot I’ve unfortunately had to set aside over the christmas period that have gone on a list to achieve in the next few weeks, but putting that list together I’ve settled on a few other things that I’ve been putting off, neglecting, or completely forgetting over the last year. I’m not a man for new year’s resolutions, of the last two years I simply decided to be more awesome, turned out to be a surprisingly effective attitude to take, but now perhaps I ought to get a little more specific.
- Read More: I’ve always loved reading, especially the Discworld series. Why then have I stalled half way through Snuff? Gotta get on that.
- Sketch More: I’d like to be able to draw better. I watched a Mary Doodles video, her first tutorial that basically said the best way to start is to just draw whatever and whenever and eventually you get into the habit. Seems to be doing ok so far, but I can do more.
- Play More Games: I write a lot about games, but I haven’t played much this last year, mostly because the time I would have spent gaming, I’ve been writing instead (like right now). First on the hit-list, the entire Witcher series.
- Finish An Old Project: I have a card game, a book, and an RPG system all underway. I am lousy at finishing projects, but having written at least one article a week for the last eight or so months I’m feeling a lot more capable. Wish me luck, and if anything comes of it you’ll know.
All very well and good on a personal level, what about all the online projects I’ve got going on?
- More Cons: I want to meet more of you! Meet more people in general, and the most awesome people are all at conventions. That’s just a fact.
- Promote QftT: I know there’s a few of you who have Quotes from the Tabletop on Facebook. Expect to see a few more of these in the future, and please share them around, and perhaps send us a few quotes of your own.
- New Subjects: To GeekOut South-West, I’ll be bringing my viewpoints to new subjects. Mostly films, because Tim knows little to nothing about films. Any suggestions, any thoughts, please share down below!
- A Podcast: A DMing 101 podcast with guest DMs, with different experiences and their own takes on how you should run a game. I’ve said it many times, that DMing is something that everyone does their own way, but writing alone means that everything I write has a very personal slant. This year, expect a more balanced view on the subject.
I have a long and busy year ahead of me which I will some how have to cram in around work, along with a few other important responsibilities. But I have a lot to look forward to. A very busy, a very exciting new year, and I wish the same to all of you.
Happy new year.