Whilst Sunday 10th was a rather snowy day down here in Bristol, Saturday was a fairly sunny day. Sure, it was cold outside, but it didn’t stop people getting down to the pub for another good old GeekOut Bristol Meet. There was a lot of food and drink consumed, a lot of geeks partying in the only way geeks know how and there was a lot of new people coming to join us, as well as plenty of our regulars too. From a slow start, the meetup picked up quickly and it turned into a rather busy night! As ever, join us for our monthly gallery of our events!
I really loved this theme; it brought out the best in everyone. From the festive cheer that Christmas brings, to the Star Wars fans who are eagerly awaiting the next release. Star Wars, along with the attrocious Christmas Special, is something worth celebrating. As mentioned above, it started slow with 20 people who came by early in the day, between midday to 4pm. But then, once 4pm passed, we slowly started to get an eruption of people, leaving us with a staggering total of 64 of us. Holy cow! That was a great send off for the year of GeekOut Bristol Meet “main events”, so thank you to everyone who attended!
We held a quiz; which was considerably tougher than usual. Apparently, geeks don’t know Christmas that well… But then again, we plucked out at obscure knowledge in order to get people seriously groaning and wondering why on Earth anyone would know the answer to the questions. If you want a crack at our quiz, here’s the questions:
- This years Doctor Who Christmas Special features current doctor Peter Capaldi, the new doctor Jodie Whittaker and which other doctor? 1 point for the actors name, 1 point for which doctor he is (i.e Peter Capaldi is the Twelfth)
- What year was the first ever Christmas Special for Doctor Who?
- How many Simpsons episodes are Christmas Themed?
- Who played Scrooge in the 2009 release of A Christmas Carol?
- What is the Surname of the Home Alone family, including Kevin?
- Who played Scrooge in The Muppets Christmas Carol?
- On Monday 11th, what Christmas ‘Classic’, involving a policeman, is playing at the Everyman in Bristol at 6pm?
- How many times has GeekOut held Super Secret Santa, excluding today?
- Who is the mayor of Whoville?
- 1 point for first name, 2 points for whole name
- Which Tenchi Muyo film features Christmas?Obligatory Star Wars Holiday Special Questions
And now – Here’s a few questions on the Star Wars Holiday Special!
- What year did the Star Wars Christmas Special first air?
- What is the name of Chewbacca’s Son?
- Who was the singer of the theme song of the Star Wars Christmas Special?
- Boba Fett features in the Christmas Special in the cartoon “The Faithful Jedi”: True or False?
- Chewbacca’s father participates in a simulated ‘sex’ scene – What was the name of the device he uses?
And now, we return to our originally scheduled quiz!
- What was the first Dr. Seuss book to be adapted into a full-length feature film and what year was it released?
- (1 point for the name, 1 point for the year)
- Before it was a film, what was The Nightmare Before Christmas?
- What was the name of the Pokemon Christmas episode, featuring Jinx as the central Pokemon?
- What animated film is playing on Christmas Day on BBC One at 1:20pm this year?
- (As a hint, we also need the number)
- What role does Tim Curry play in Home Alone 2: Lost in New York?
- (1 point for the ‘job’, 1 point if you can give us his name)
You can find the answers here.
As ever, we took images of the event! We didn’t get any images of our Super Secret Santa, to which we had 11 entries, which was awesome! Nice to see people getting involved! As ever though, our gallery for the event is below:
Finally, if you attended this event, you may have heard me talk about Level Up Bristol, a cosplay event that we’re proud to be supporting. I’m going to be one of their guest judges for the cosplay competition – And the VIP is Professor Elemental, who will be giving us a great show! Check it out here. As ever though, let us know what you think about the event in the comments below – We’ve only got one more meetup for 2017, the New Years Eve special..! Come join us if you can. Check us out on Facebook and Twitter and let us know how you’re celebrating Christmas 2017.
PSST: Wanna know when our events for 2018 are? Want them in your calendar? We’re setting up a Google Calendar for our events in 2018. They are all strictly provisional, however these are the tentative dates thus far.